Environmental protection policy
The environmental protection policy of the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces is based on the Order No. 1 of 1 December 2005 of the Ministry of Defence. 375 and includes not only the military but also a much wider social and economic sphere.
Based on close and constructive co-operation with state and environmental protection institutions of different municipalities and officials at all levels and in compliance with national and international environmental legislation, the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces shall ensure that national defence facilities are preserved, protected and, as far as possible, restored. The environment and nature, the saving of resources and the prevention, reduction and control of pollution shall be done in accordance with technical, financial and administrative possibilities. However, environmental protection measures must not run counter to the primary task of ensuring national defence.
THE LONG-TERM OBJECTIVE OF ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY IS TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING RESULTS:
- The structure of the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces has the required number of well-educated and trained environmental specialists who actively address environmental protection issues in the national defense sector;
- The personnel of the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces understand the need for environmental protection and, in performing their duties, observe the requirements of environmental protection;
- The environmental management system of the Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces ensures the observance of the principles of sustainable development and environmental protection requirements in the management of national defence facilities;
- Steady and regular improvement of the quality of the environment has been achieved in the state protection facilities and the threat of pollution is being eliminated;
- The Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces use environmentally friendly technologies and renewable energy sources as much as possible in their activities, promote the saving of natural and energy resources;
- The Ministry of Defence and the National Armed Forces have close and constructive co-operation with state, municipal and international environmental protection institutions at all levels;
- It is possible for the public to get acquainted with environmental protection measures in military facilities, thus strengthening the link between the Ministry of Defence, the National Armed Forces and the public.