International and regional cooperation
The Latvian Ministry of Defence has currently accredited 8 defence attachés in 18 countries:
- United States (two representatives, resident in Washington).
- Germany and Austria (resident in Berlin).
- Canada (resident in Ottawa).
- Georgia, Azerbaijan (resident in Tbilisi).
- Turkey (resident in Ankara).
- Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova (resident in Kiev).
- France, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden (resident in Riga).
- Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary (resident in Warsaw).
Defence attachés provide significant support regarding the implementation of practical defence co-operation with the above countries. In their respective countries of accreditation, defence attachés protect the national interests and the national defence interests, act in the capacity of the military advisor to the Latvian Ambassador, promote and facilitate co-operation between the Republic of Latvia and these countries, co-ordinate the implementation of bilateral co-operation plans between the Latvian defence sector and these countries and inform on military and political processes taking place in these countries. The formation of the Latvian defence policy is a complex task that requires simultaneous development of both national security and foreign policy elements, which are most directly and closely related to the defence diplomacy field. Thus both of these aspects are equally important for defence diplomacy.